Site Admin
CITY: Los Angeles
STATE: California
Vehicle/s owned: 500SEC 32V AMG Wide Body Tribute

1979 Mercedes-Benz 450 SLC - RARE - $3800 (Newalla) OK

Post by 48hp »

spotted this online:

http://oklahomacity.craigslist.org/cto/3141037956.html

I have for sale a 1979 Mercedes-Benz 450 SLC, I am selling this for my Father and Grandfather. Back in the day this car was the most expensive car that Mercedes sold. It was also one of the cars that they took to the races and won. This particular 450 SLC needs some TLC. Its not perfect, but its not a total loss. This car does run and drive just fine, and the ride is still very good, due to the 4-wheel independent suspension. This car was imported to the states from Germany back when the car was new. We have all of the papers and some pictures showing that the car was imported from Germany to Oklahoma from the original owner, and the sheet that shows how much it costed to import. There is lots of documentation for this car. This car is currently being stored at my Grandfathers house as me or my Father do not have room for this. I have personally driven this car and I have to say its still a good car. Also the car is currently black tagged, but is a current tag.

The bad:

The car is not perfect as I said, and it does need a few things, but things that can be found. It is missing a couple of exterior trim pieces (which I was able to find), needs a new washer bottle, right fog list lens,
The interior needs some attention,
needs dash board
and a knob on the AC controls, (AC not currently working), has crank windows though, which always work
clear coat is peeling in certain places
some gauges not working well
small rusts spots, maybe surface not really sure
could use some new tires
front windshield has a chip and small crack, could possibly be repaired?
possible minor transmission issues
and needs lots of love!

The Good:

Runs and Drives, was recently put back into running condition, sat for 5 years in a shop on jack stands
lights work
windows roll down, crank windows
solid car, can tell when a door is shut
car has been over 50mph and does just fine.
All owners manuals, some service paperwork, and import papers
original chrome bumper in truck
has Mercedes body kit on it, and Optional upgraded Mercedes-Benz wheels, these are a little bit wider than stock
Most parts are there, just need brightening
has original first aid kit in the rear deck lid, which has never been used or opened
original "German" fire extinguisher in trunk
recently serviced

more specs:

450 SLC 5.0 Mercedes Benz was build in 1979. With V-8 SOHC / 16 valves total / 2 valves per cylinder engine type, sized at 4973 ccm it was able to deliver 240.0 bhp @5000 rpm and 401.0 Nm (296 lbft) @3200 rpm of torque.

The engine specifications, body aerodynamics and weight to power ratio produce a top speed of 225 km/h (140 mph)and acceleration from 0 to 100kmh (~62mph) 8.50s.
It is a RWD driven car, with Front engine location, wighted at 1515 kg. The car comes with a 4 Speed Automatic transmition. and fuel capacity of 90 litres. compression ratio 8.80:1 and it is a Benz fueld engine.

Originaly mounted front tires are 205/70 VR 14, rear 205/70 VR 14 and brakes (F/R) VeDi/Di-S.

Car size was L/W/H 4750 mm/1790 mm/1330 mm

Car information

Year of make: 1979
Car make: Mercedes Benz
Model: 450 SLC 5.0
Price:
Performance

Top speed: 225 km/h (140 mph)
0-60 mph:
0-100mph:
0-100kmh: 8.50s
1/4 mile:
60-0 mph:
Fuel consumption:
Power output

Horsepower: 240.0 bhp @5000 rpm
Torque: 401.0 Nm (296 lbft) @3200 rpm
Transmition: 4 Speed Automatic

This would make a great project car for someone or it would make a great daily driver. This is a great car, and if done right can bring someone allot of money, or happiness! My Father and Grandfather originally purchased it to restore it but as time past, they just didn't have the time nor resources to do this, so they are letting it go to a new home where someone will hopefully put it back on the road where it belongs! For more information about this car or to setup a time to see the car, please contact me, my name is Chris, 405-488-8891, and I can send more pics if needed or required. If you are seriously interested in the car, I can give you my grandfather's information so you can setup a time to go out and look at it, as it is currently at his house.
Appears to have a lorinser kit.